Sunday, October 27, 2013

Go With The Flow Silly... Putty That Is!

The most recent make I have completed, as well as others in my class, was a Toy Hack which is basically taking toys and doing something funny, unique, interesting, or just different with toys. However, our task was to propose a serious question with our hacks. Well, with every great creation comes a beginning and personally I had NO clue what to do. If you are anything like me, toys were put on the back-burner of my mind for I have bigger fish to fry... like school... or video games. The one thing I did remember is my obsession with Silly Putty as a child.
 
After this, everything fell perfectly into place. The concept of identity constantly pops up in class and is something that is important to me. But, contrary to popular belief, we didn't just "pop out" at birth and start to tell everyone our beliefs and our names, etc. No, we were given a basis and from day one our so called "identity" is morphed and formed int what we see it as today. Gee, what else is molded and shaped... Silly Putty, duh! That's why I loved it as a child, I could make it into anything I desired. There we go, I then knew the theme and the toy, and I already decided on a stop motion video because it seemed popular among toy hacks. Here is the product:
The question I raise is "Who/What are you?" but more importantly: "How did you become that way?" The correct answer is along the lines of experience and antagonists. Generally people equate antagonists with evil, which can be true, by all means. However, an antagonist is someone or something that changes the protagonist which, in this case, is you. The problem here is that we tend to avoid things that are different or even hate them when in reality we would not be the same without them. I am the antagonist to the silly putty because I shape it. It's time we recognize our antagonists and welcome differences rather than shun them, after all, we kind of owe them. Then again, I can't tell you how to live your life. You do you, I'll do me.

No comments:

Post a Comment